Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) TherapyPopular
What is Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy?
PEMF (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field) is an innovative form of magnetic therapy that works by pulsing health promoting energy into the body. When using clinical grade devices, PEMF energy can penetrate through the entire body unlike treatments like ultrasound and electric stimulation. This strong tissue penetrance allows for a very strong but safe treatment.
Harold Saxton Burr (1889-1973), Professor at Yale University School of Medicine, researched the energy fields of organisms. He discovered that measurable imbalances in the electrical field of an organ precede the onset of pathology and that if the electrical imbalance is corrected, the disease does not manifest. The application of PEMF can bring our cells back into electrical balance, restoring the body’s natural ability to deliver nutrients to stressed and damaged tissues.
Over the past 40 years, medical researchers all over the world have studied the effects of PEMF, conducting thousands of peer-reviewed studies. As a result of such research:
The FDA approved the use of PEMF:
- In 1979 for stimulating bone growth
- In 1998 for urinary incontinence and muscle stimulation
- In 2004 as an adjunct to cervical fusion patients
- In 2006 for patients with depression and anxiety
- In 2011 for treatment of brain cancer.
- In 2011 for treatment of depression in patients unresponsive to medication.
PEMF is even used by NASA for reversing the bone loss and muscle degeneration experienced by astronauts on long space missions.
- Pain reduction
- Decrease inflammation
- Stimulate tissue healing & strengthen bones
- Faster healing of skin wounds
- Relieve injury and fatigue
- Reduce stress and increase relaxation
- Stimulate nerve regeneration
- Achieve a deeper, more restorative sleep
- Support neurotransmitter balance
PEMF and Lyme Disease + other chronic infections
PEMF has been studied to augment antibiotics and thus may help treat and reduce drug resistant bacteria. PEMF has also been shown to help disrupt biofilms, which is often why Lyme disease does not respond to short term antibiotics. The lingering symptoms of Lyme disease can also be caused by neurologic damage. PEMF has been studied extensively to heal neurologic damage.
A foundation of 10 treatments is recommended, however people often notice an improvement in symptoms from just 1 or 2 treatments. Treatments are typically 30-45 minutes long.
Treatment strength is chosen by your own sensitivity thus allowing for an individualized treatment. The goal generally is to have the PEMF feel like a firm massage without pain.
- Do not use if you have an implanted electronic device such as pacemaker, defibrillator, or cochlear hearing devices.
- Do not use if you are pregnant.
- Do not use if you are having active bleeding, hemorrhaging, or heavy menstruation.
Potential Side Effects
Since your cells are being exercised, we advise to drink extra water before and after treatment. If you become dehydrated from the treatment, feeling temporarily lightheaded is possible. “Detox” and/or “Herx” reactions are possible. Future treatment strength and length can be adjusted to prevent or reduce if these side effects occur.